Origin of the word Linen –
- The word Linen has been derived from the linum which is used for the word named as flax plant .
Linen History in different countries –
Linen history of Rome –
- The art of Linen Rome derived from the Greece
- Linens products were encouraged by the Roman citizens in Rome as the Roman people were wealthy and luxurious at that time.
- At that time gold and silver were mixed with the Linen which enhanced the value of tapestries .
Rome used to import the linens from the established colleges and corporations for its manufacture.
Linen History of Egypt –
- For the beautiful and the fine linen clothes , Egypt was very famous.
- Wrapping of the mummies were seen as one of the great example of the use of linens .
- Best examples of linens in Egypt were used to see in the museums where not just the quality of linens but also the color of linens were appreciable and adorable.
Linen History of Greece –
- From Egypt and Phoenicia , linens was the chief imports for Greece.
- In ancient times, the flax plant grown in Greece.
- The monuments we see of the beautiful Grecian women is the depiction of the lovely and charming linens garments.
Linen History of Switzerland –
- In Switzerland the archeologists woven linens scraps and spinning whorls .
- In Switzerland , in the region of the Swiss lake dwellers , prehistoric weaving stone age was found.
- Linen is a bast fiber.
- The flax fiber is 25 to 150 mm in length.
- Nodes which is added to the flexibility and texture of the fabric is the identification of the flax fabric.
Uses of Linen –
- With the change in time , the use of linen has been changed dramatically .
- in the early 1970 , only 5% linens were used for fashion fabrics .
- whereas at the time of 1990, 70% linens were produced for the apparel textiles.
- The uses of linens varies from table covers , dish towels and bed sheets etc.
- Linen is also used for wall coverings , window treatments , curtains etc.
- Linen is also used for apparel items like skirts , shirts,dresses etc.
- For oil painting , linen fabrics is most preferred.
- For the strength , durability and integrity of linen , it is preferred to cotton .
- artisan bakers use linens on a very wide stage.
- in the past time , for books linen were used.
as the linen the sweat from the hands when it gets wet , Irish linen was very popular wrap of pool cues .
Properties of Linen –
- cool to touch
- smooth and it gets more softer when it is washed.
- high natural luster
- has high durability
- linen fibers do not stretch
- linen can absorb good amount of moisture in comparison of cotton .